Christian Medical college (CMC Vellore)
Located in the heart of the Vellore City, the christian medical college and hospital was founded by Dr. Ida Scudder in 1900. It is a private, autonomous, minority-run hospital, which also houses a medical college.
What makes Christian medical college one of the top medical institutions is, not only it has aced in providing healthcare through its own hospital facilities, but also has set up a network of healthcare facilities in the district.
It has under it primary, secondary and tertiary care hospitals in and around Vellore. Primary hospitals provide basic care and need to the patients; secondary hospitals provide consultancy services to the patients, while tertiary hospitals provide advanced care, diagnostic facilities and intensive care units to the patients and visitors. The college has pioneered in providing medical facilities and acing in being a research institution as well.
The Director of the institution is Dr. Sunil Thomas Chandy and the Chairman is Dr. M.C Matthew.
CMC Vellore Address
It located at the Ida Scudder Road, Vellore, Tamil Nadu. It is only 7km far from the Katpadi railway station and ½ km away from Vellore New Bus stand.
How to Reach Vellore CMC Hospital
Since it is a well-known landmark of the town, it is well connected and can be reached from almost anywhere. There are numerous ways to reach the hospital. If you are arriving from outside the state by train then, when you get down at the Katpadi railway station, which is the Major railway junction for the Vellore district and the city of Vellore, you can hire either an auto-rickshaw or can take a bus.
To reach by bus:
Walk up to the main road from the Katpadi railway station. From there buses of route no. 1 and 2 (these buses connect a large portion of the town and can be boarded from a lot of places, wherever the bus stops are present.)
From the railway station, the buses drop one at the Vellore new bus station from where the hospital is only at a walking distance. The bus fare is 4 rupees from the railway station.
There is also a bus stop right next to the CMC hospital Exit gate where one can alight from the buses to reach the hospital.
If people from Chennai want to reach the hospital, they can do so by taking the bus no. 102 & 502 from CMBT bus stand at Koyambedu. It is a journey of 3 hours from Chennai covering a distance of 140kms.
From any town in Vellore district, the buses to reach the hospital are quite frequent.
To reach by auto rickshaws:
From the railway station, the shared autos run to and fro from the railway station. The fare can extend up to rupees 15 from the railway station and it will be best if you decide the fare beforehand.
Separate or individual auto-rickshaws are also available, but they cost a more than shared ones. Individual auto can cost up to rupees 50 from the railway station.
Click on Vellore Map for detailed road routes and important landmarks of the Vellore city
CMC Vellore Appointment
Patients can make appointments to reach out to different doctors of the hospital. There are two ways through which appointments can be made. People can both reach the hospital directly and make an appointment in advance or they can also book an appointment online on the website.
The steps to be followed while booking the application online: Go to the website https://clin.cmcvellore.ac.in/webapt/
- Click on the option “a patient?” mentioned in the left-hand column.
- Go to online services, click on the appointments button and click on proceed
- Finally, click on the option new patient.
- Fill in all the details carefully, after submitting the application, a username will be generated along with a password. Note them down safely; they shall be required at the silver gate for triage and further appointment.
- Please note that once an appointment is booked, it shall not be refunded, if canceled.
- Also, maintain an identity proof with you at all times. It will be needed while booking an online appointment as well as offline.
- Fees to book an appointment can be paid by methods such as net banking or through demand drafts as well.
- Change of date or time of appointment can be made only once online at least one day prior to the date of appointment.
Note: For Detailed instructions for making appointments for both New and Repeat patients online or at hospital, Please refer CMC vellore appointment
Chris Card - The In-house Debit card
To provide patients with world-class healthcare facilities, the hospital wanted to introduce something, which would make the process of getting medical aid a lot easier and hassle-free. They introduced the CHRIS card. It is a patient ID cum debit card.
The CHRIS card helps not only the patient but also the hospital maintain a clear record of the patient’s medical history. It also has money just as the same way as the debit card and it is provided by the hospital free of service charge, along with a password exclusive to the each individual card.
It is valid for one patient only and all patient related transactions are done through this card.
The card can be topped up with a minimum amount of rupees 5000 and once the patient has received medical help and there is any unused amount left in the card, it shall be refunded and the card shall be returned to the user for future use. The user can keep the card loaded with as much as money for as long as he wants, there is lifetime validity of the card.
The CHRIS card machines are deployed at all cash counters and select outpatient services for easy access.
There are CHRIS card kiosks installed everywhere in the hospital from where the card can be used to pay money or book appointments and pay in advance for them as well.
These cards are made available to the patients on demand.
For any query regarding the Chris card, users can contact at:
Vellore CMC Department List
Some of the major medical departments and doctors list available at cmc vellore are listed down here. We cannot guarantee any accuracy of the data presented here or any future changes in doctors availability, contact details, appointment details and timings. This is purely for informational purpose and we suggest readers to directly contact the hospital for any information about the hospital and to get the latest updates.
Department of Orthopaedics
The department caters to patients having difficulty in musculoskeletal. The treatment involves both surgical and non-surgical methods to treat musculoskeletal trauma, spine diseases, sports injuries etc.
Currently, there are 5 independent within the units at present three general orthopedic units and 2 sub-specialty units. The department staffs 14 professors, more than 36 postgraduates and consultants. As many as 6000 surgical procedures per year are performed and about 2000 more in daycare in the department.
The department operates from Monday through Saturday. Any patient that needs care is looked after 24x7 in the emergency center.
The services offered by the orthopedic department are:
- Primary hip, Knee, Shoulder and Elbow arthroplasty,Revision arthroplasties
- Spine surgeries including Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion, Lumbar discectomy, and decompression, Treatment of spinal infections, tumors, scoliosis and cervical spine problems.
- Sports medicine including Arthroscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction, Arthroscopic Bankart’s repair. Arthroscopy of ankle and elbow.
- Paediatric orthopedics including treatment of complex congenital, developmental anomalies and deformities like hip dysplasia (DDH), CTEV, congenital pseudoarthroses. Perthe’s disease, pediatric bone and soft tissue tumors, limb deficiency, skeletal dysplasia and cerebral palsy are few other conditions managed here in addition to various traumatic conditions in children.
- Treatment of all bone tumors including custom-made prosthesis.
- Treatment of all routine, complex trauma and neglected trauma.
- Pulsed electromagnetic therapy.
The list of doctors in the orthopedic department are:
- Dr. VRISHA MADHURI, Professor, D.Orth, M.S.Orth, M.Ch.Orth
- Dr. VERNON LEE, Professor,
- D.Orth., M.S.Orth., M.Ch.Orth.,
- Dr. ALFRED JOB DANIEL, Professor & HEAD OF DEPARTMENT, D.Orth., M.S.Orth., Dip.N.B.
- Dr. V.T.K. TITUS, Professor, D.Orth., M.S.Orth., Dip.N.B.
- Dr. VINOO MATHEW CHERIAN, Professor, D.Orth., M.S.Orth., Dip.N.B.,
Department of OPHTHALMOLOGY
The ophthalmology department provides care to the patients who have difficulty in sight. Itchy, sore or red eyes are some of the treatments given to patients with the ailment in eyes.
There are two units under ophthalmology such as:
Normal care units:
- Contact lens
- Low vision aid
- Glaucoma clinic
- Strabismus clinic
- Paedriatric ophthalmology
- Retina clinic
- Cornea clinic
Other special services provided by the dept. are
- FDP (frequency doubling perimeter)
- Field testing
- Ultrasound biometry
- Fundus photography
The department can be contacted on
Department OF Obsterics and Gynaecology
Department of Paediatric Surgery
There are pediatric surgeries also done to aid in the treatment given by the hospital. This department treats children who need surgery. There are two departments under the pediatric department. The surgeries done include:
- Neonatal Surgery – tiny babies
- Paediatric Urology - kidney problems
- Paediatric Gastrointestinal Surgery – stomach and gut problems.
- Surgery for congenital malformations – born with problems
- Paediatric thoracic
- Meningomyelocele repair - spina bifida is a hole in the spine
- Paediatric Solid tumors
- Foreign bodies in the bronchus or Esophagus. Removing things that should not be there.
- Burns, Trauma/accidents that need surgery.
Contact the pediatric surgery department:
Department of Cardiology
Department of cardiology looks after the treatment needed by the adults and children alike in any kind of heart, blood vessel ailment etc.
The department specializes in:
- Ischemic heart diseases – blood supply to the heart is poor. The patient gets angina, shortness of breath, swollen ankles etc
- Heart failure – the heart stops working properly and responds poorly
- Hypertension – high blood pressure
- Vascular problems – the blood vessels inside and near the heart become narrow and blocked. The unit helps in re-opening these blocks in the vessels.
The technique used include invasive and non-invasive investigative methods.
ECG – which records the electrical patterns of the heart.
Echocardiography – ultrasound scan of the heart.
Holter test – this test comes with a device attached to the person and it records the electrical patterns when the person is walking or working throughout the day.
Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring- record the blood pressure of the person while he is walking during the day.
- Coronary angioplasty – the most basic cardiac procedure. Involves the widening of any narrow arteries. This enlarges and opens the areas and remove any block. This helps in the flow of the blood.
- Peripheral vessel angioplasty – the peripheral arteries are looked after and opened if any is narrow.
- Balloon valvuloplasty – opening up of the narrow heart valves, which aid in the correct blood flow through the heart.
- Alcohol septal ablation
- Defect closure – any abnormal holes in the heart can be closed and any leakage can be avoided. The atrial septal defect, ventricular septal defects are all fixed.
- Pacemaker implantation – in severe cases of heart blockage, a machine called a catheter is attached to the artery. The pacemaker helps the heartbeat at the correct pace.
- Intra-aortic balloon pump
There are several other departments at the hospital which provide all kinds of treatment to the patients. The doctors of different departments can be reached through different counters and receptions at the departments(offline). Since there are some doctors whose shifts rotate on a timely basis it is always suggested to keep a check of the doctors that are available if you have some prior preferences.
Some of the other departments at the hospital are:
- Accident and emergency
- Dental and oral surgery
- Family medicine
- Plastic surgery
How to get Birth Certificates at cmc vellore
The medical superintendent at (MS-OFFICE 3) can be contacted for the making of a birth certificate by providing discharge summary and paying the birth certificate application fees after the child birth.
Phone: 0416-2282066, 2004, 2604, 2626